Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, Watsapp, BBm and hundreds of other modes of communication that we have been using today...my question to you is are we truly communicating or are we merely over-communicating?
I have friends on all these mediums... but what was really surprising was, when I met one of my friends after weeks, did I really connect with him.
Only when we were face to face I could see his sad eyes behind his ‘smiley's’, we spoke, shared and even laughed in REAL!
Just that one evening with him made me feel so content.
Ironically, the very next day we were back to exchanging one liners... smileys..jokes and Broadcasts!
What this age of communication truly lacks is a connection we felt...with friends!
Another friend and I had a feud and I was told “I have 100 friends on facebook etc.. and I don’t need you to be honest with me... I will replace you!” Just like that... we were good friends for 10 years and now the more distant internet friends have been replacing real friendships...maybe because we don't have to hide anything from them. We can be our pseudo selves on these mediums and pretend to be happy!
One major question that I would like an answer to is: How many modes of communication are really important to let someone know you care!
Is communicating connecting? or is it only adding more chaos to this already chaotic world!
It’s not that I abhor these mediums. In fact, these are the only mediums through which one can actually speak up, sometimes.
There is a constant need to express our moods and feelings. I wonder if this is due to the global fact that speaking about your feelings is not in fashion but expressing it on these mediums will attract huge amounts of interests, yet no solution!
Its ironic that we all go through the same levels of isolation while being constantly connected.
Are we communicating because we are in fact isolated or fear isolation or is it that we do not want to invest time in communicating in person because it just gets too heavy in the end.
This also brings my attention to the rise of meditation, yoga etc. that have been in vogue to cure the unsteady mind and the perturbed hearts. Overwhelmed, is what we feel when we are communicating and when we realize that in the race to be the highest communicator we lost so many real buddies!
The reality being we are doing all of this with our fingers and with mouths shut and zero eye contact… that makes it a little bit incomplete…
Although I love communicating…I wonder if I really am?
This is awesome stuff!! While reading it seemed like a mirror image of my brain (Read : Thoughts). By the way, I too used one of those mediums to express my feelings right now :)
ReplyDeleteAhaan! thats good to meet a fellow thinker! :)
Delete